Ok! Welcome back to my podcast: The Marketing Playbook with Mark Friedman! Presented by Details Interactive. Here, you’ll take away 3 game-winning marketing plays every episode to take back to your team. I’m your host, Mark Friedman, and my career has been focused on direct-to-consumer marketing; direct mail, physical retail, and digital commerce.
This is Episode #55 and today’s guest is Cindy Marshall, the Founder and Chief Executive Officer of SHINE Strategy. Listen to the episode on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts, and your other favorite podcast spots – follow and leave a 5-star review if you have your playbook!
Podcast Episode #55: Cindy Marshall – Founder and CEO of SHINE Strategy
Cindy Marshall, the Founder and Chief Executive Officer of SHINE Strategy, adds her page to the Marketing Playbook. Hear how to block out some thinking time, leverage your business superpower, stay current, what Cindy learned about customer service in her first job, and the powerful story behind her new book. This episode covers everything from superpowers to customer service. Here’s a small sample of what you will hear in this episode:
- How was Shoptalk?
- What is the state of customer service in retail?
- How were Cindy’s early years in business?
- What was her role at L.L.Bean?
- Why do brands come to SHINE Strategy?
- What are the biggest challenges brands are facing today?
- How does brand-side compare to provider-side?
- What is something Cindy wishes she were better at?
Let’s open the playbook. Ready? Break! Check out the episode, show notes, and pictures below for much more detail.
- [0:23] The Marketing Playbook with Mark Friedman
- [0:25] Details Interactive
- [0:33] Connect with Mark at Mark@DetailsInteractive.com, on Twitter at @DetailsInteract, and on LinkedIn
- [0:40] Connect with Cindy on LinkedIn and Shine-Strategy.com
- [1:02] Thank you as always to Max Branstetter of MaxPodcasting and the Wild Business Growth Podcast for producing this podcast. You can reach him at Max@MaxPodcasting.com to bring your podcast to life
- Cindy’s Page of The Marketing Playbook with Mark Friedman
- [2:58] How was Shoptalk?
- [4:17] What is Cindy’s first story?
- [4:37] Potomac, MD
- [5:43] What is the state of customer service in retail?
- [7:22] What is Cindy’s superpower?
- [9:34] How were her early years in business?
- [10:47] Audience Segmentation
- [11:33] How did Cindy partner with merchandisers?
- [12:57] What was her role at L.L.Bean?
- [14:23] Boston Consulting Group (BCG)
- [16:35] Do you have a Direct-to-Consumer business? I enjoy connecting with guests on this podcast because it reminds me what I love to do: strategic and tactical consulting for businesses like yours. If you’d like to speak with me and see how you can add a fresh set of eyes to your team, contact me at Mark@DetailsInteractive.com
- [17:02] Was Ross-Simons siloed when Cindy was there?
- [20:17] What was her first step from brand-side to provider-side?
- [22:02] Was Cindy looking for something different at that time?
- [23:24] Consulting
- [24:04] Why do brands come to SHINE Strategy?
- [24:33] Digital Marketing
- [26:07] What are the biggest challenges brands are facing today?
- [27:08] Klaviyo, Shopify
- [27:43] What’s the shiny new object Cindy’s bringing to her clients these days?
- [29:03] What is AnoOno?
- [30:42] Sorry About Your Diagnosis…You’re Fired!
- [34:16] What is Women in Retail Leadership Circle (WIRLC)?
- 2-Minute Drill
- [37:11] Connect with Cindy on LinkedIn and Shine-Strategy.com
- [37:32] This week’s 3 Game-Winning Plays are as follows:
- Block out some thinking time
- Leverage your business superpower
- Stay current
- [38:29] If you want to check out more pages of The Marketing Playbook, make sure to follow on your favorite podcast spot and leave us a 5-star review on Apple Podcasts
- [38:42] Connect with Mark at Mark@DetailsInteractive.com, on Twitter at @DetailsInteract, and on LinkedIn
- Theme Song: Jazzy Man Funk Rock – Auditone Music Library – provided by Jamendo
What is The Marketing Playbook with Mark Friedman?
Mark Friedman (that’s me) knows direct-to-consumer marketing. The 30+ year industry veteran has served as the President of eCommerce at Steve Madden, Chief Marketing Officer of Brooks Brothers, mentor to dozens of startups, and even youth sports coach. You’ll take away 3 fundamental tips every episode to help your team knock it out of the park, and draw up strategies for digital marketing, eCommerce, customer monetization, and pivoting with the brightest all-stars in business. Do you have your playbook?
How can I work with Details Interactive?
That’s it! Today’s game ball goes to Cindy Marshall. Thank you, Playbook Marketers, for listening. If you want to check out more pages of The Marketing Playbook, make sure to follow on your favorite podcast spot and leave us a 5-star review on Apple Podcasts. You can also follow us on Twitter at @DetailsInteract and learn more at DetailsInteractive.com. Until next time, The devil is in the details.