Ok! Welcome back to my podcast: The Marketing Playbook with Mark Friedman! Presented by Details Interactive. Here, you’ll take away 3 game-winning marketing plays every episode to take back to your team. I’m your host, Mark Friedman, and my career has been focused on direct-to-consumer marketing; direct mail, physical retail, and digital commerce.
This is Episode #56 and today’s guest is Rob Smith, the Chief Executive Officer and Founder of The Phluid Project. Listen to the episode on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts, and your other favorite podcast spots – follow and leave a 5-star review if you have your playbook!
Podcast Episode #56: Rob Smith – CEO and Founder of The Phluid Project
Rob Smith, the Chief Executive Officer and Founder of The Phluid Project, adds his page to the Marketing Playbook. Hear how to be thoughtful about the role you’re looking for, get ahead of change, continue to evolve, how retailers should market to Gen Z, and what Rob learned during his sabbatical. This episode covers everything from change to sabbaticals. Here’s a small sample of what you will hear in this episode:
- How does Rob define Gen Z?
- Why did he stay at Macy’s for a long time?
- How does he deal with change?
- What caused his next move?
- How did he plan out his career?
- Will a physical retail store continue to be relevant?
- Is Rob still designing the product?
- What is his most-prized possession other than family?
Let’s open the playbook. Ready? Break! Check out the episode, show notes, and pictures below for much more detail.
- [0:26] The Marketing Playbook with Mark Friedman
- [0:28] Details Interactive
- [0:36] Connect with Mark at Mark@DetailsInteractive.com, on Twitter at @DetailsInteract, and on LinkedIn
- [0:45] Connect with Rob at ThePhluidProject.com, Instagram @RobGarrettSmith, and LinkedIn
- [0:59] Thank you as always to Max Branstetter of MaxPodcasting and the Wild Business Growth Podcast for producing this podcast. You can reach him at Max@MaxPodcasting.com to bring your podcast to life
- Rob’s Page of The Marketing Playbook with Mark Friedman
- [2:47] What is Rob’s first story?
- [4:56] Social Worker, Business School
- [5:24] How does Rob define Gen Z (Generation Z)?
- [7:12] How has Gen Z impacted retailers?
- [8:12] TikTok
- [9:01] How do you decide what to react to as a retailer?
- [11:14] Why did Rob stay at Macy’s for a long time?
- [13:53] How does he deal with change?
- [16:01] How was his move to Victoria’s Secret?
- [17:02] What caused his next move?
- [19:02] Supply Chain
- [19:58] How did Rob plan out his career?
- [20:49] Do you have a Direct-to-Consumer business? I enjoy connecting with guests on this podcast because it reminds me what I love to do: strategic and tactical consulting for businesses like yours. If you’d like to speak with me and see how you can add a fresh set of eyes to your team, contact me at Mark@DetailsInteractive.com
- [21:32] Will a physical retail store continue to be relevant?
- [22:33] eCommerce
- [24:38] What is The Phluid Project?
- [28:27] What is Phluid up to today?
- [30:12] Is Rob still designing the product?
- [33:02] What has he noticed about companies through consulting?
- [34:32] Target
- 2-Minute Drill
- [37:09] Connect with Rob at ThePhluidProject.com, Instagram @RobGarrettSmith, and LinkedIn
- [38:38] This week’s 3 Game-Winning Plays are as follows:
- Be thoughtful about the role you’re looking for
- Get ahead of change
- Continue to evolve
- [39:42] If you want to check out more pages of The Marketing Playbook, make sure to follow on your favorite podcast spot and leave us a 5-star review on Apple Podcasts
- [39:59] Connect with Mark at Mark@DetailsInteractive.com, on Twitter at @DetailsInteract, and on LinkedIn
- Theme Song: Jazzy Man Funk Rock – Auditone Music Library – provided by Jamendo
What is The Marketing Playbook with Mark Friedman?
Mark Friedman (that’s me) knows direct-to-consumer marketing. The 30+ year industry veteran has served as the President of eCommerce at Steve Madden, Chief Marketing Officer of Brooks Brothers, mentor to dozens of startups, and even youth sports coach. You’ll take away 3 fundamental tips every episode to help your team knock it out of the park, and draw up strategies for digital marketing, eCommerce, customer monetization, and pivoting with the brightest all-stars in business. Do you have your playbook?
How can I work with Details Interactive?
That’s it! Today’s game ball goes to Rob Smith. Thank you, Playbook Marketers, for listening. If you want to check out more pages of The Marketing Playbook, make sure to follow on your favorite podcast spot and leave us a 5-star review on Apple Podcasts. You can also follow us on Twitter at @DetailsInteract and learn more at DetailsInteractive.com. Until next time, The devil is in the details.