Ok! Welcome back to my podcast: The Marketing Playbook with Mark Friedman! Presented by Details Interactive. Here, you’ll take away 3 game-winning marketing plays every episode to take back to your team. I’m your host, Mark Friedman, and my career has been focused on direct-to-consumer marketing; direct mail, physical retail, and digital commerce.
This is Episode #54 and today’s guest is Dawn Robertson, the Chief Executive Officer of On Campus Marketing (OCM). Listen to the episode on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts, and your other favorite podcast spots – follow and leave a 5-star review if you have your playbook!
Podcast Episode #54: Dawn Robertson – CEO of OCM
Dawn Robertson, the Chief Executive Officer of On Campus Marketing (OCM), adds her page to the Marketing Playbook. Hear how to focus on your employees, be a good listener, develop strong marketing lifecycle tactics, what Dawn learned from working at Macy’s, and the benefits of international work experience. This episode covers everything from collegiate marketing to listening. Here’s a small sample of what you will hear in this episode:
- How was Dawn’s experience at Macy’s?
- Was being a woman CEO a challenge for her at the time?
- How much cannibalization was there at Macy’s?
- Where are Myer stores?
- Was Dawn always comfortable with change?
- How do you manage tension between marketers and merchants?
- Is Dawn seeing marketing costs rise?
- What is something she wishes she were better at?
Connect with Dawn on LinkedIn and Instagram.
Let’s open the playbook. Ready? Break! Check out the episode, show notes, and pictures below for much more detail.
- [0:21] The Marketing Playbook with Mark Friedman
- [0:23] Details Interactive
- [0:31] Connect with Mark at Mark@DetailsInteractive.com, on Twitter at @DetailsInteract, and on LinkedIn
- [0:39] Connect with Dawn on LinkedIn and Instagram
- [1:04] Thank you as always to Max Branstetter of MaxPodcasting and the Wild Business Growth Podcast for producing this podcast. You can reach him at Max@MaxPodcasting.com to bring your podcast to life
- Dawn’s Page of The Marketing Playbook with Mark Friedman
- [2:11] How are Dawn and her family doing during the pandemic?
- [3:01] What is her first story?
- [3:41] CEO (Chief Executive Officer)
- [4:34] Auburn University
- [4:54] How was Dawn’s experience at Macy’s?
- [6:02] What did she learn at Macy’s?
- [7:38] How has merchandising changed over the years?
- [8:47] How do different Macy’s stores differ?
- [10:07] What did Dawn do next?
- [11:24] Was being a woman CEO a challenge for her at the time?
- [12:35] Brooks Brothers
- [13:28] How much cannibalization was there at Macy’s?
- [14:45] Where are Myer stores?
- [17:03] Was that experience humbling for Dawn?
- [18:19] Was she always comfortable with change?
- [20:55] How do you manage tension between marketers and merchants?
- [22:33] How is Dawn thinking about working from home (WFH)?
- [24:38] Do you have a Direct-to-Consumer business? I enjoy connecting with guests on this podcast because it reminds me what I love to do: strategic and tactical consulting for businesses like yours. If you’d like to speak with me and see how you can add a fresh set of eyes to your team, contact me at Mark@DetailsInteractive.com
- [25:08] What is OCM (On Campus Marketing)?
- [27:44] How do they keep up with college kids who move every year?
- [28:21] How are they doing acquiring new talent?
- [30:01] How are they handling the paper shortage?
- [31:08] Are they seeing marketing costs rise?
- [32:25] How do they identify where the next best dollar is spent?
- [34:02] Who is their target customer?
- 2-Minute Drill
- [36:16] Connect with Dawn on LinkedIn and Instagram
- [36:45] This week’s 3 Game-Winning Plays are as follows:
- Focus on your employees
- Be a good listener
- Develop strong marketing lifecycle tactics
- [37:44] If you want to check out more pages of The Marketing Playbook, make sure to follow on your favorite podcast spot and leave us a 5-star review on Apple Podcasts
- [37:55] Connect with Mark at Mark@DetailsInteractive.com, on Twitter at @DetailsInteract, and on LinkedIn
- Theme Song: Jazzy Man Funk Rock – Auditone Music Library – provided by Jamendo
What is The Marketing Playbook with Mark Friedman?
Mark Friedman (that’s me) knows direct-to-consumer marketing. The 30+ year industry veteran has served as the President of eCommerce at Steve Madden, Chief Marketing Officer of Brooks Brothers, mentor to dozens of startups, and even youth sports coach. You’ll take away 3 fundamental tips every episode to help your team knock it out of the park, and draw up strategies for digital marketing, eCommerce, customer monetization, and pivoting with the brightest all-stars in business. Do you have your playbook?
How can I work with Details Interactive?
That’s it! Today’s game ball goes to Dawn Robertson. Thank you, Playbook Marketers, for listening. If you want to check out more pages of The Marketing Playbook, make sure to follow on your favorite podcast spot and leave us a 5-star review on Apple Podcasts. You can also follow us on Twitter at @DetailsInteract and learn more at DetailsInteractive.com. Until next time, The devil is in the details.