Ok! Welcome back to my podcast: The Marketing Playbook with Mark Friedman! Presented by Details Interactive. Here, you’ll take away 3 game-winning marketing plays every episode to take back to your team. I’m your host, Mark Friedman, and my career has been focused on direct-to-consumer marketing; direct mail, physical retail, and digital commerce.
This is Episode #53 and today’s guest is Nilay Shah, the VP, Digital Marketing for the New York Giants. Listen to the episode on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts, and your other favorite podcast spots – follow and leave a 5-star review if you have your playbook!
Podcast Episode #53: Nilay Shah – VP, Digital Marketing for the New York Giants
Nilay Shah, the VP, Digital Marketing for the New York Giants, adds his page to the Marketing Playbook. Hear how to be persistent in your career, leverage your assets, thrive in a job for several years through respect and trust, the behind-the-scenes of The Eli Manning Show and Giants NFT Collection, and how Nilay started working for the Giants in the first place. This episode covers everything from Eli Manning to NFTs. Here’s a small sample of what you will hear in this episode:
- What did Nilay study at NJIT?
- Was he being paid when he started interning for the New York Giants?
- How do you stay at the same company for 15 years?
- What is The Eli Manning Show?
- How does Nilay look at metrics?
- Do changing coaches and GMs impact the marketing department?
- Which channels are the priority for the Giants?
- What is Nilay’s most-prized possession other than family?
Connect with Nilay on LinkedIn.
Let’s open the playbook. Ready? Break! Check out the episode, show notes, and pictures below for much more detail.
- [0:19] The Marketing Playbook with Mark Friedman
- [0:21] Details Interactive
- [0:28] Connect with Mark at Mark@DetailsInteractive.com, on Twitter at @DetailsInteract, and on LinkedIn
- [0:38] Connect with Nilay on LinkedIn
- [1:07] Thank you as always to Max Branstetter of MaxPodcasting and the Wild Business Growth Podcast for producing this podcast. You can reach him at Max@MaxPodcasting.com to bring your podcast to life
- Nilay’s Page of The Marketing Playbook with Mark Friedman
- [2:45] What is Nilay’s first story?
- [3:14] Parsippany, NJ
- [3:42] What did Nilay study at NJIT (New Jersey Institute of Technology)?
- [6:07] Was he being paid when he started interning for the New York Giants?
- [7:16] What was he doing before he started working for the Giants?
- [8:38] How do you stay at the same company for 15 years?
- [10:02] Eli Manning
- [10:50] What is The Eli Manning Show?
- [12:12] How does Nilay look at metrics?
- [13:16] What was he doing when he started with the Giants?
- [14:38] How have the KPIs (Key Performance Indicators) changed over time?
- [15:18] Is Nilay charged with selling merchandise across platforms?
- [16:24] Is it a challenge to get the players involved in the marketing?
- [17:38] Do changing coaches and GMs impact the marketing department?
- [18:48] Is all of the Giants digital content free?
- [19:16] Do they struggle to have enough content?
- [20:03] Which channels are the priority for the Giants?
- [20:56] Do you have a Direct-to-Consumer business? I enjoy connecting with guests on this podcast because it reminds me what I love to do: strategic and tactical consulting for businesses like yours. If you’d like to speak with me and see how you can add a fresh set of eyes to your team, contact me at Mark@DetailsInteractive.com
- [21:30] What is an NFT (Non-Fungible Token)?
- [22:40] What do fans do with Giants NFTs?
- [23:37] What new things are the Giants trying in the digital marketing space?
- [24:41] Do pro franchises think of themselves as brands?
- [25:48] Who leads the brand?
- [27:17] Does Nilay view other NFL teams as competitors or collaborators?
- [28:32] What does his team look like?
- [30:08] How have the iOS changes in privacy impacted his job?
- 2-Minute Drill
- [34:28] Connect with Nilay on LinkedIn
- [35:02] This week’s 3 Game-Winning Plays are as follows:
- Be persistent in your career
- Leverage your assets
- Thrive in a job for several years through respect and trust
- [36:20] If you want to check out more pages of The Marketing Playbook, make sure to follow on your favorite podcast spot and leave us a 5-star review on Apple Podcasts
- [36:33] Connect with Mark at Mark@DetailsInteractive.com, on Twitter at @DetailsInteract, and on LinkedIn
- Theme Song: Jazzy Man Funk Rock – Auditone Music Library – provided by Jamendo
What is The Marketing Playbook with Mark Friedman?
Mark Friedman (that’s me) knows direct-to-consumer marketing. The 30+ year industry veteran has served as the President of eCommerce at Steve Madden, Chief Marketing Officer of Brooks Brothers, mentor to dozens of startups, and even youth sports coach. You’ll take away 3 fundamental tips every episode to help your team knock it out of the park, and draw up strategies for digital marketing, eCommerce, customer monetization, and pivoting with the brightest all-stars in business. Do you have your playbook?
How can I work with Details Interactive?
That’s it! Today’s game ball goes to Nilay Shah. Thank you, Playbook Marketers, for listening. If you want to check out more pages of The Marketing Playbook, make sure to follow on your favorite podcast spot and leave us a 5-star review on Apple Podcasts. You can also follow us on Twitter at @DetailsInteract and learn more at DetailsInteractive.com. Until next time, The devil is in the details.