Ok! Welcome back to my podcast: The Marketing Playbook with Mark Friedman! Presented by Details Interactive. Here, you’ll take away 3 game-winning marketing plays every episode to take back to your team. I’m your host, Mark Friedman, and my career has been focused on direct-to-consumer marketing; direct mail, physical retail, and digital commerce.
This is Episode #52 and today’s guest is Fan Bi, the Angel Investor and Co-Founder of The Hedgehog Company. Listen to the episode on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts, and your other favorite podcast spots – follow and leave a 5-star review if you have your playbook!
Podcast Episode #52: Fan Bi – Angel Investor and Co-Founder of The Hedgehog Company
Fan Bi, the Angel Investor and Co-Founder of The Hedgehog Company, adds his page to the Marketing Playbook. Hear how to invest in consumer brands, start a portfolio company, create revenue that’s not completely ad-driven, what Fan looks for in companies to invest in, and how he became an investor in the first place. This episode covers everything from ads to investments. Here’s a small sample of what you will hear in this episode:
- What are the different kids of investors?
- How is the value of companies changing in recent years?
- Is Fan looking for synergy across the businesses he invests in?
- What brands does he own today?
- Where does the deal flow come from?
- Does Fan have a playbook he utilizes for improving businesses?
- How are they funded?
- What is a charitable organization Fan’s passionate about?
Let’s open the playbook. Ready? Break! Check out the episode, show notes, and pictures below for much more detail.
- [0:22] The Marketing Playbook with Mark Friedman
- [0:22] Details Interactive
- [0:32] Connect with Mark at Mark@DetailsInteractive.com, on Twitter at @DetailsInteract, and on LinkedIn
- [0:40] Connect with Fan at TheHedgehogCompany.com and LinkedIn and Twitter
- [1:00] Thank you as always to Max Branstetter of MaxPodcasting and the Wild Business Growth Podcast for producing this podcast. You can reach him at Max@MaxPodcasting.com to bring your podcast to life
- Fan’s Page of The Marketing Playbook with Mark Friedman
- [2:12] What is Fan’s first story?
- [3:55] Facebook
- [4:42] What is Black Lapel?
- [5:50] COVID-19
- [6:21] What are the different kids of investors?
- [8:17] How is the value of companies changing in recent years?
- [11:16] SaaS (Software as a Service)
- [11:32] What is The Hedgehog Company?
- [14:14] How do you decide whether it’s a business or a hobby?
- [16:21] How does Fan think about the structure of businesses?
- [17:32] How do you know if the business should actually exist in the first place?
- [19:27] Is Fan looking for synergy across the businesses he invests in?
- [20:47] What brands does he own today?
- [21:53] Do you have a Direct-to-Consumer business? I enjoy connecting with guests on this podcast because it reminds me what I love to do: strategic and tactical consulting for businesses like yours. If you’d like to speak with me and see how you can add a fresh set of eyes to your team, contact me at Mark@DetailsInteractive.com
- [22:22] Is Fan looking at marketplace businesses?
- [24:06] How are they dealing with the costs to acquire a new customer?
- [24:58] iOS 14
- [25:36] Who makes up the “we” in Hedgehog?
- [26:41] Where does the deal flow come from?
- [28:04] Does Fan have a playbook he utilizes for improving businesses?
- [29:49] How are they funded?
- [30:32] What are Fan’s biggest challenges as CEO (Chief Executive Officer)?
- 2-Minute Drill
- [32:00] Patagonia, Nike, Starbucks
- [32:31] Twitter
- [32:39] Amazon, Italic
- [32:51] What is something Fan wishes he were better at?
- [33:21] What is a charitable organization he’s passionate about?
- [33:41] What is a superpower he wishes he had?
- [33:51] What’s his most-prized possession other than family?
- [34:11] Connect with Fan at TheHedgehogCompany.com and LinkedIn and Twitter
- [35:14] This week’s 3 Game-Winning Plays are as follows:
- Invest in consumer brands
- Start a portfolio company
- Create revenue that’s not completely ad-driven
- [36:25] If you want to check out more pages of The Marketing Playbook, make sure to follow on your favorite podcast spot and leave us a 5-star review on Apple Podcasts
- [36:37] Connect with Mark at Mark@DetailsInteractive.com, on Twitter at @DetailsInteract, and on LinkedIn
- Theme Song: Jazzy Man Funk Rock – Auditone Music Library – provided by Jamendo
What is The Marketing Playbook with Mark Friedman?
Mark Friedman (that’s me) knows direct-to-consumer marketing. The 30+ year industry veteran has served as the President of eCommerce at Steve Madden, Chief Marketing Officer of Brooks Brothers, mentor to dozens of startups, and even youth sports coach. You’ll take away 3 fundamental tips every episode to help your team knock it out of the park, and draw up strategies for digital marketing, eCommerce, customer monetization, and pivoting with the brightest all-stars in business. Do you have your playbook?
How can I work with Details Interactive?
That’s it! Today’s game ball goes to Fan Bi. Thank you, Playbook Marketers, for listening. If you want to check out more pages of The Marketing Playbook, make sure to follow on your favorite podcast spot and leave us a 5-star review on Apple Podcasts. You can also follow us on Twitter at @DetailsInteract and learn more at DetailsInteractive.com. Until next time, The devil is in the details.